Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Fortunately...

The Rev and I are two ships passing in the night sometimes. Mondays are generally included in those times, so we decided to meet for dinner before heading off to our respective commitments. I suggested Chinese (I had Thai for lunch, if I had been thinking I would have had Korean or Japanese for breakfast to pull the full oriental cuisine trifecta).

When we eat Chinese, we generally shy away from "American Chinese" and go for something a little more exotic, like curried Taiwanese noodles or fish in black bean sauce or Jam Bong (which is technically Korean, I suppose). At one restaurant we always make the wait staff giggle when we order off the Chinese menu.

Anyway, we got the bill and the obligatory fortune cookies. My cookie had two strips of paper, neither of which I would call fortunes. One was a proverb, yadda, yadda, yadda. The other was a bit odd:

"Maybe you can live on the moon in the next century."


WTF? Was I supposed to take this as a hint to vacate the planet? Plus, you really can't do the bit where you add "in bed" to the end of the fortune - it wouldn't make any sense at all. It was humorous, anyway. The Rev.'s fortune was a bit closer to home:


"Your dearest dream is coming true."


Chew on that for a while. By the way, did you know that the largest fortune cookie manufacturer in America employs a middle-aged white guy to write all the fortunes? (He also serves as the company's vice-president and is in charge of accounting.) It was in The New Yorker last year sometime, so it must be true...

Meanwhile, my Dad is planning to come into town next week while I'm laid up - I think he's trying to escape baby duty since my sister delivered her triplets this past weekend. Regardless of his motives, he's planning on hitching a ride into town with Sarah's mom, so hilarity should ensue. Now this is when this whole living on the moon thing would come in handy.

1 comments:

Andy B. said...

"Maybe you can live on the moon in the next century."

Very evocative. A metaphorical 'century' perhaps? It sounds like a response to a desperate cry for help, like a cliche way to say, "Just give up, already."
Oh, now I'm sad. :(