Monday, February 25, 2008

Our first day

Well, day one of our new jobs is done.

FRANK:
My commute downtown was pretty much without incident. I had local office orientation in the morning, was taken to lunch by some of my new associates, and spent the afternoon on a borrowed computer completing administrative stuff (my work computer was on backorder and hadn't arrived yet). All in all not a bad day, although it was odd dining at lunch with people who had to be at least 12-15 years younger than me - I may be the only non-manager with a child.

The commute home was interesting - I took two buses and while I didn't have to wait very long, it seemed to be a lot slower that the train/bus combo. Tomorrow morning's commute will be very interesting, as it is snowing buckets right now, with 6-8 inches forecast. It won't be extraordinarily cold, so I may hoof it to the train rather than risk buses on roads that may not be clean. We'll see.

The rest of the week will certainly keep me busy, with several different events scheduled, all of which include a free lunch. However, one of the first things the Rev. and I will have to decide is scheduling - this is not an 8 to 5 job. I may opt for leaving earlier in the mornings to get back in time to share dinner and give the boy his bath. The firm, in its drive to climb higher on the "best places to work" list, is supposed to be more open to alternative work arrangements, so that may work to our advantage. We'll see.

SARAH: My 1st day "on the job" started WAAAAAAYYYY too early. The small child who lives with us thought the pre-butt crack of dawn hour was more than sufficient to call it a good night's sleep. (I was awake enough to notice that the mug of water I put in the microwave was the source of the popping and sizzling--something about gold/metal paint not doing too well in there.)

Perhaps my early call wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't spent the weekend with a bunch of lunatic quilters holed up in a Double Tree in West St. Louis County who's idea of a good time is "sleep? who needs sleep? There's a quilt top to finish." Followed by a crazed look in their eye. (and that was just me looking in the mirror!)

I did come home with one almost 1/2 way done and I didn't have any of my fabric pre-cut! (on account of the move and all) After I finished a block I stopped pouting over my fabric choice which was picked in duress after I had to give up the idea of what I wanted in my head when we went to find the fabric a few weeks back. Here's what I got finished:


Here's a shot of a several people's main square:

Squint at it. Isn't it cool how the same pattern looks so different with different fabric colors/hues?

Inspired by the call for snow and lots of it beginning this afternoon, Z man and I headed out this am for some shopping errands. I caught him on the beginning of his nap so I drove around exploring until he woke up. Didn't get lost cause I had "Mildred" with me, the GPS I was gifted with at Christmas so as to not get lost.

I gave her a name for two reasons. One a very kind friend of my who was in the car with me shortly after I got her would stop his side of the conversation every time she gave directions. I kept telling him to not worry about interrupting her, but it is not his nature to be rude. I named her so that I could tell all nice people who enter my car, "Mildred's the woman who tells me where to go and how to get there. I ignore her, so should you."

Secondly, when I'm standing at the back door and Frank's at the car, I can yell, "do you have Mildred?" instead of "Do you have the GPS?" Maybe our neighbors will think that's the boy's name for one of his toys he must have with him?

The most exciting thing that happened while were out is that at the end of our shopping, checking out in fact, while I was paying, Z, scraped into the cart, found a way to stand up! As I was doing my final transaction I looked over to find him almost eye to eye with me. Still strapped in mind you, and grinning. Twerp!

He went down early tonight, hopefully he won't want to get up to see the sun rise or watch the snow fall over night. Bed is calling…

(Tuesday update: Z did wake in the night, but slept until his usual time this am. Happy Mommy! Frank left early (we were still in bed). Snow not as deep as predicted, it's beautiful, but enough already! Z has a new weird habit. He likes to put his forehead on the hardwood floor and scoot along with it touching, sometimes making the oddest -his head on the floor- of noises. It is now nap time!)

0 comments: