Sunday, March 02, 2008

Happy Casimir Pulaski Day!

It's not often those of us with Polish heritage (1/4 in my case) have cause to celebrate in the U.S. Usually the name "Polish" is in reference to sausage or any number of jokes calling into question the intelligence of my people.

But tomorrow, in the state of Illinois, is Casimir Pulaski Day. All public schools are closed, as are city and county government offices in Chicago.

Who was Casimir Pulaski? He was a Polish general of high birth who was recruited by the Marquis de LaFayette to fight with the Continental Army against the British in the American Revolution. Pulaski trained American soldiers in cavalry tactics and led several divisions in battle, gaining the title "Father of American Cavalry." He was wounded at the Battle of Savannah and died there from his wounds. The nearest major street to us is named in his honor. There is also a national Pulaski Day holiday celebrated in October and an annual parade in New York to commemorate the occasion.

Unfortunately for me, public accounting firms do not celebrate Pulaski Day, but I can at least eat a pierogi or something. Maybe I need some White Eagle underwear to show my support...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the history lesson. Some of the schools are out around here, but thankfully not my kid's. My daycare kid isn't here today because his mom has the day off, but not being native Illini or Polish, I didn't have a clue who they were celebrating.

Anonymous said...

March 2nd is also Dr. Seuss' birthday!!! :)

RookiesDaddy said...

If I remember correctly there is a pretty good eatery in the Chicagoland area called the White Eagle....

Just checked on google....
yep, here it is. http://www.thewhiteeagle.com/