Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Perception vs. Reality

An interesting thing happened the other day. Sarah was talking to a friend of ours who's been going through some rough times as of late. Anyway, they were discussing my little sojourn through cancer canyon and our friend said I seemed pretty angry while I was going through treatment.

Sarah and I were both taken aback at this comment, mainly because I sure didn't feel angry at all. I was definitely intensely focused on my treatment, knowing what I had to do and what I had to put up with after arming myself with as much information as possible. It may have been this particular person was just reflecting what they were feeling inside while going through this turmoil. Then again, my intensity may have looked like anger to those who aren't intimately familiar with my mannerisms.

As I ponder the interpretation of my attitude our friend had I think in retrospect it may have more with our friend's anger and problems in the clear communication department (especially with family and friends), which in turn has given rise to the personal difficulties this person is experiencing. Thankfully this person is now actively working toward wholeness.

Communication is absolutely vital to healthy relationships. I don't want to toot my own horn (TOOT! TOOT!), but if there's one thing Sarah and I do consistently, it's talking to each other and listening to what the other is saying. It heads off lots of problems before they have a chance to really get rolling.

0 comments: