Monday, March 07, 2005

Round Three Day One

Is done. The best part of today is that from here on out there are fewer and fewer days of chemo.

This is the week that I think both of us will feel like hiding away, steeling ourselves for the rest of this journey. Today took a long time 8:30 - 3:30. (But did I mention how thankful we are that we get to do this outpatient?)

The novelty of is this is over. I'm done being angry that I've had to become an expert on TC. Our trip to IU is testament to the fact that we are well versed in what TC is and how it has invaded Frank's body. We were not surprised by any information we received. Dr. V confirmed today that the loss of the kidney is a possibility (and that he was glad he wasn't the one who told us), but that we will have to wait and see. I questioned whether or not Frank's kidneys were handling the platinum ok, the sub text being if left with one, would it still function normally. Dr. V said his labs on that look good. In fact all things considered, his labs overall are looking great.

On day one of the first round Dr. V said, this is when the waiting begins. We now enter the holding pattern that is round three. Not the end, but closer to it.

No one likes to wait, but you, like us, have to have patience. We will wait and make the decision to have surgery when it is time. At this time it seems like a real possibility, and if so, it will probably be done at IU. BUT in the grand scheme of things it will not happen for at least 3 months and a lot can happen in that time period.

We are simply in the middle of waiting. Waiting for the hours to pass and the chemo to drip and the poison to do its job. There is nothing we can do to speed up the clock nor is there any additional gimmicks / rituals we can use to entertain ourselves while we wait.

But we can live life and enjoy it, so that is what we will try to continue to do. (Even though I want to hide away and be anti-social this week, I can't help the Pollyanna in me from coming out!)

Thank you for your notes and cards and well wishes. (I esp. liked the early birthday card I got this weekend--I'm still chortling over it!)

Keep the "shrink, shrink, shrink" thoughts coming. As for the rest of the week. NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS. That means that no blog is good news. If you don't hear from us don't freak out, we may actually be taking care of heart and hearth so that we can continue being who we really want to be: people who are interesting and fun and also happen to be dealing with cancer at this point in time.

Enjoy the following pictures. And thanks to my mom and dad who let us "vacate" at their home this weekend after the very boring drive across southern Illinois.



Andrew Molenda said...

Unfortunately Rounds 3 & 4 are the most difficult and seem to last the longest. But you are focused on the finish and that is the best state of mind to be in.

If Frank has to undergo the surgery, just know that many people have had it and come out without any problems. The procedure sounds barbaric and the risks (nerve damage, loss of a kidney) sound scary, but I am a testament to the fact that things can and will work out. When I went in for my Lymphnodectomy, I had already undergone a Prostatectomy (which has it's own risks of nerve damage) so I thought I was mentally prepared. But when I went in for my appointment with Dr. Foster, one of his residents went over the surgery with me. At that point she asked me to sign a COLOSTOMY RELEASE! I never thought that was a possibility and needless to say as a 29 yr-old man I was freaked out. In the end I didn't need a colostomy and I came out of the surgery fine. But I really dodged a bullet on that one.

I wouldn't want anyone besides Dr. Foster to perform the surgery if your Kidney is at risk. His experience and skill level is the highest in the US when it comes to the RPLND.