Wednesday, February 28, 2007

anonymous

Maybe you are visiting because you have followed a link from a mean spirited “troll” who copied a recent post that I made here on his/her blog (the author is anonymous). If that is the route that found you here, then welcome. I invite you to read through our posts from the beginning. Know that we write to share our story--our life with and following my husband’s battle with testicular cancer.

We are blessed to have a huge number of people, family and friends, who keep us in their thoughts and prayers. Using a blog to communicate with them is one of the gifts of modern technology. We hope that if you are going through similar difficulties times in your life that our honest sharing is something that can help you find wholeness during a stressful time.

If you are one who follows our blog, please know that I’m not sharing the "troll's" site address because I do not want to support or advertise the thoughts of an unfortunate soul who seems to have problems with adoption, the church, people of faith, and a whole host of other issues AND who hides behind the veil of “anonymous.” I find it to be cowardly: it doesn’t allow conversation, just verbal arrows shot from a heart that would be empty save all the hate that is held within and shared, “anonymously”, with the world. I do, in all seriousness, hope that whoever it is has someone other than the world wide web to speak to about the things that are troubling them.

I debated about even responding to his/her post. To respond gives power to the other, but not responding can make one feel powerless. And if you are someone who frequents this site, you know that I’m someone who likes conversation, not anonymous mean spirited attacks. I am taking back my power and standing up for my right to share openly and honestly what is happening in our lives, it's our blog after all.

Said blogger commented on my most recent post. It was posted to our site less than 30 minutes after I’d blogged. It was so scathing that Frank deleted it before he even let me read it. He does not usually protect me in this way, so I can only imagine what it said. (He is also much better at dismissing people who don’t share his perspective than I am. I’m softer than him in that respect, I dwell on things. It is who I am.)

Frank, gifted surfer of the web, was able to track the source of the post to the blog where I found myself quoted (out of context of our story) and ripped on. It is one thing to disagree in the context of a conversation, but it is mean spirited to “proof text” or take out of context (what so many Christians unfortunately do to prove their well intentioned however erroneous points) part of a story and pass judgment on a person’s character and profession.

Frank posted, with full disclosure of who he was, to this person’s site inviting him into conversation. S/he erased his comment quicker than s/he was erased by Frank on this site! Conversation halted by the one who seemed so eager to point out how wrong, selfish, mean, and hypocritical I am. Hmmm.

As a clergy women I have never claimed to be anything other than human, complete with all the complex issues that everyone faces. I’m not immune to selfishness*, nor pain. It is thought the grace of God that I work and strive to be in right relationship with God and neighbor. But, if you are anonymous, you, neighbor, prevent that relationship from ever having a chance.

So, all that is to say that we have no intention of engaging in fruitless battles where everyone ends up loosing, and thus we are limiting our comments section to those who will identify themselves in a way that can lead to conversation. That does not mean you have to agree with what we say, for everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have to have the balls, or in the TC world—the ball, to claim your ideas and the arrows you sling with them as your own, not some cowardly anonymous doofus.

*As an aside, I do not feel my/our desire to adopt an infant is selfish. I view those who have attempted the adoption process after not being able to conceive themselves as brave and courageous.

For most of the world, it doesn’t take much to make a baby, but if what you have doesn’t work, and if you desire to share and grow a life with your partner, and you have the means to do so—it is in some cases selfish not to.

The many layers of paperwork and questioning that couples go through to get to where we are is astounding. There is a “reasonable” reason for everything from personal financial records to a note from the vet saying that that household pet is up to date on shots. The reality remains that people whose “parts” work rarely if ever have to justify to the government that they are fit to be parents. To actively purse adoption means that you’ve overcome or are at least dealing with in a healthy way a lot of anger—at your body, at the system, etc.

Therefore the choice to enter this process is a very personal decision for each person or couple. From the adoptive parents' perspective, each has to determine the threshold of heartache, the willingness to lay your heart out, open to be able to accept a blessing or be prepared for it to be smashed into the ground. It is knowing that what ends up being “best” for the baby may be something other than what you thought it should be. It is about being “all in”, knowing that there may be pieces of your heart that will never be gathered up together again, and that is ok. I’ve heard it said that being a parent is like having your heart walking around outside of your body. For adoptive parents, that often begins years before their child is even conceived.

Additionally, I have GREAT respect for OUR birth mom. We would not be where we are or who we are with out her. She is doing something that I could never imagine doing. I may not always agree with her choices, but I respect that they are hers to make. Frank and I are doing everything with in our power (and within what the state law allows us to do) that we can to support her. Her time is close, she is, to quote her “so done with being pregnant.” We recognize that there are still things that could happen and this is not a “done deal” by any means. We just want to be parents. If she is carrying the child we are to parent, then it will all work out. If not, we’ll grieve what we'd hoped and longed for, regroup and move on. I have faith, I have hope that at some point, at some time we are to give a significant portion of our life to help someone grow into an amazing person.

We did get to see the baby blink, look around, and "breathe" on the ultra sound yesterday! Wasn't the 3D one though, the little stinker faced backward during that one last week. He's coming right along.

So much for trolls.


-the rev


P.S. As of the evening of February 28, the troll's website has been closed to nonregistered users.
Vinny

5 comments:

mmm said...

I have followed your blog almost from the beginning. Youboth are always in our prayers.

Margaret Molends
(Andrew's mom

mmm said...

Margaret Molenda
(Andrew's Mom)

David said...

I stand with Sarah and Frank, my friends. They are human and yet they do not judge harshly my many imperfections. Where would I be if they had not adopted me as a friend? Did God not chose(adopt) the people of Israel as his children? How fortunate is the child chosen by intelligent, kind and loving parents. They have given to and loved our children and very soon (I believe) God will trust with them a precious gift. Thank you God for your many gifts, in the form of friendships and children.

With admiration, respect, and LOVE

David R. Clark

Unknown said...

Adoption is what it is. You asked what we were so against at daily.doofus, and it's just the doofus things said with regards to adoption. Your post struck a chord with some of the main principles of saying doofus things. For example, this woman is not a birthmother yet. Not that the term is even acceptable really anymore with regards to adoption, but she wouldn't even earn that name until the adoption is finalized, and she will always be a mother to that child even after her rights have been terminated. Until she places that child for adoption she is the mother to that baby. Your post spoke volumes of how you don't see adoption in that way. Have you seen this or read it? http://www.adoptioninstitute.org/research/2006_11_birthparent_wellbeing.php

That woman you are matched up with will forever carry the burden of placing that baby for adoption if she chooses to place after birth. The quote from your blog about your faith is showing the irony of you seeming to not see that.

RookiesDaddy said...

I may offend you but what did you really expect?
I am Frank's slightly less tactful brother Chris, and I would be happy to explain my feelings in person if you like.
If I had a nickel for every moron I have had contact with over the years, who knocked up another moron or was knocked up by one, I could retire and pay my new nephew's college tuition, etc... I think the statement that giving birth is what makes a mother is just as ignorant as saying that a sperm donor is a child's father. I admit that it is more involved but that is not the point, I do not discount the pain of pregnancy or birth or even the despair of separation. I give the birthmother (B.T.Y. if you have nothing better to do then read through peoples blogs to correct them you are truly a looser) props for being a good person and doing what she feels will be best for the baby. A parent is not defined by bloodline alone it takes a life long commitment and sacrifice, and if you disagree, screw you.
-Chris